Dr. Young Kim
Assistant Professor, Strategic Communication
PURE 1800: Public Relations Principles
Ph. D., Media and Public Affairs, Louisiana State University
M.S., Public Relations, Montana State University Billings
To make one step forward for "Be The Difference" in my life, as well as my future students' ones, I decided to come to Marquette. I found out that trajectories of my research and teaching seem to have been on the Marquette's mission. That's why I feel Marquette is the best fit school for me to learn more about how I can not only advance knowledge and experience that help my students prepare for intellectual, artistic, professional and ethical leadership but also apply my research, teaching and service to make a contribution to the Marquette community and improve the lives of our neighbors.
Crisis Communication and Management
Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC)
International Communication Association (ICA)
National Communication Association (NCA)
Korean American Communication Association (KACA)
Kim, Y. (2016). Understanding Publics' Perception and Behaviors in Crisis Communication: Effects of Crisis News Framing and Publics' Acquisition, Selection, and Transmission of Information in Crisis Situations. Journal of Public Relations Research, 28(1), 35-50. DOI: 10.1080/1062726X.2015.1131697
Jeong, J. -S., Kim, Y., & Chon, M. (2016). Who Is Caring for the Caregiver? The Role of Cybercoping for Dementia Caregivers. Health Communication. DOI: 10.1080/10410236.2016.1242030.
Kim, Y., Miller, A., & Chon, M. (2016). Communicating with The Key Publics in Crisis Communication: The Synthetic Approach to The Public Segmentation in CAPS (Communicative Action in Problem Solving). Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management, 24(2), 82-94. DOI: 10.1111/1468-5973.12104
Kim, Y. (2015). Toward an Effective Government-Public Relationship: Organization-Public Relationships based on a Synthetic Approach to Public Segmentation. Public Relations Review, 41(4), 456-460. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pubrev.2015.06.020
Kim, Y. (2015). Toward an Ethical Model of Effective Crisis Communication. Business and Society Review, 120(1), 57-81. DOI: 10.1111/basr.12048
Otjen, A. J., Keller, S., & Kim, Y. (2015). Marketing a City Library in the Face of Negative Attitudes. International Journal of Business Strategy, 15(1).
Kim, Y., Chon, M., & Miller, A. (2014). Cross-national Ongoing Crisis Communication on Social Media: A Comparative Analysis of Twitter regarding Asiana Airlines Crash Crisis in South Korea and US. Asian Communication Research, 9, 22-51.
Chung, W., & Kim, Y. (2014). Dealing with "Prodromes" through Social Media: Pre-Crisis Communication of Hyundai Motors Regarding its Overestimated Gas Mileage Issue. Asian Journal of Information and Communications, 6(1), 7-24.
Miller, A., & Kim, Y. (2014). Is digital content better? In A. Miller and A. Reynolds (Eds.). News Evolution or Revolution? The Future of Print Journalism in the Digital Age (pp. 147-162). New York, NY: Peter Lang Publishing Group.
Promising Professor Award, Mass Communication & Society (MC&S) Division, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC), 2015
Top Paper Awards
- Top Student Paper Award, Public Relations Division, National Communication Association's (NCA) Annual Convention, 2015
- First Place Graduate Student Paper Award, Public Relations DivisionInternational Communication Association's (ICA) Annual Conference, 2015
- The Red Rider Public Relations Research (Top Paper) Award,International Public Relations Research Conference (IPRRC), 2015
- Top Paper Award, Korean American Communication Association (KACA), Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication's (AEJMC) Annual Conference, 2014
- Top Paper Award, Korean American Communication Association (KACA),National Communication Association's (NCA) Annual Convention, 2013
- Top Student Paper, Communication Ethics Division,National Communication Association's (NCA) Annual Convention, 2012
- The Debut Award, the Executive Club of the Western States Communication Association (WSCA), 2012
- Top Debut Paper, the Communication Theory & Research Division, the Western States Communication Association's (WSCA) Annual Conference, 2012